Friday 24 June 2011

I think British Beer May Be Crap

I've just finished a very pleasant day at the White Horse, Parsons Green, judging the International Beer Challenge. Beer judging is a discipline I always enjoy. I like to think I think about the beer I drink, but, really, most of the time, you don't.

Maybe this is a good thing, because, when you do, it can be quite a disappointing experience. The big lesson for me today is that, in point of fact, most British beer may well be crap. The IBC, the best of the British brewing competitions, is a blind tasting competition and so I have no idea who produced any of the 53 beers I sampled today, but still, it was an eye opener.

The first lesson was that British brewers clearly have no idea what an IPA is. Sad when you consider that this is one of Britain's great contributions to brewing. All the IPAs entered that I tasted (and other judges agree) were (a) totally lacking in hop aroma (b) exceptionally malty, (c) devoid of varietal hop character and (d) possessed a harsh, bitter finish. Do British brewers believe that an IPA is a malty beer with a cloying alpha acid finish? The evidence is that the ones who entered the IBC do.

You may object that I don't know that all the beers weren't American, and if they were I need to change career immediately. However, where it was clear that the beers in the category were not brewed in the UK there was an immediate improvement in the standard presented. The 'Saisons and Bieres de Garde' flight was in a different league to the other classes. The beers were noticeably more complex, better crafted, more considered. You could almost taste the brewer's thought process. You knew, unlike, say, 'Bitters up to 5%', where the brewer was aiming.

The overwhelming impression I was left with today was one of sadness. I was sad that so many brewers - mostly clearly British - have such a poor understanding of what makes good beer. I showed this blog to other judges at the event before I left. All agreed.

1 comment:

  1. That's a very sad indictment, and I hope you're just on a downer and it's not really true. To renew your faith in British IPAs, may I recommend Bitter End Lakeland IPA (5%) and Pen-lon Twin Ram (4.6%)? Both are reviewed on my blog at http://alebaggersbeerblog.wordpress.com, and both tasted like *real* IPAs.

    ReplyDelete